Approximately 50% of the city is in the floodplain, based upon FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs). The floodplain is defined as the area subject to inundation by the 1% annual chance flood (100-year flood).
The City of Alamogordo participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP makes federally backed flood insurance available for most buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including an arroyo flowing over its banks, and local drainage problems.
Find out if a property is in a flood zone
To view the city's floodplain map, visit the GIS webpage, and select "Alamogordo Public Map".
In the upper right hand corner, select on the Layer List Icon (3rd from the left).
Scroll down and check the box for "FEMA_Flood_Zones_2018." The floodplain layer will turn on after a few seconds of loading.
In the upper left search box, you can type in an address and the map will zoom in to that location.
Flood Maps (FIRMs) & Studies
- City Flood Areas 2013 General Map
- Map Panel (FIRM) Index
- Map Panel 0937D (PDF)
- Map Panel 0939D (PDF)
- Map Panel 0940D (PDF)
- Map Panel 0941D (PDF)
- Map Panel 0943D (PDF)
- Map Panel 0950D (PDF)
- Map Panel 1175D (PDF)
- Map Panel 1180D (PDF)
- Map Panel 1185D (PDF)
- FLOOD INSURANCE STUDY 2010 Vol 1
- FLOOD INSURANCE STUDY 2010 Vol 2
- Flood Insurance Study Profiles Revised by 2013 LOMR
Forms & Instructions
- Flood Map Information Request Procedures
- Flood Map Information Request Form for New Construction
- Flood Map Information Request Form - Other Than New Construction
- Flood Map Information Request Form - General.pdf
- Elevation Certificate FEMA Form
- Request to Remove a Property from a Flood Zone - (No FIll) FEMA Form MT-EZ
- Request to Remove a Property from Flood Zone (Based on Fill) FEMA Form MT-1
- Floodproofing Certificate FEMA Form
Alamogordo's Floodplain Ordinance and FEMA Publications
- Alamogordo Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance 2018
- NFIP Myths and Facts FEMA Publication
- Answers to Questions About the NFIP FEMA Publication
- Flood Insurance Information FEMA Publication
- Flood Preparation and Turn Around Don't Drown
- General Questions and Answers
- Flood Damage Resistant Materials (Floodproofing) Requirements FEMA Publication
- Protecting Building Utilities from Flood FEMA Publication
- Protecting Manufactured Homes from Floods FEMA Publication
- Determining Flood Hazards on Alluvial Fans FEMA Publication
- Reducing Damage from Localized Flooding FEMA Publication
- Protecting Floodplain Resources FEMA Publication