Virtual Activity Center
Welcome to the Alamogordo Family Recreation Center’s Virtual Activity & Resource Center! This is a great place to find educational and fun things to do during your time stuck at home! We will provide various resources to promote wellness, learning, and entertainment for our youth and families. Follow the City of Alamogordo on Facebook for updates and new ideas.
Please note that we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of or receive funds to advertise any of the third-party websites or services listed or referenced on this page.
Click on any of the links below to find activities that promote health and staying active!
Connect with Games & Movement
We know it’s difficult to get your brain and body moving in these cooped up times. This section should help alleviate any mental or physical blues!
Stimulate your body:
Check out the following YouTube video from Nickelodeon’s Worldwide Day of Play for inspiring ways to stay active! Show us how well you do at these, or how you may have modified it better for safe social distancing!!
Here are some more activities to get your body moving:
Staff suggested game:
What You Need: A ball, such as a soccer ball or other light-weight ball, open space such as a backyard, cones or other markers.
What You Do:
- Divide the players into two equal teams.
- Ask players to take their positions for the kickoff. Players should sit on the ground with their hands and feet flat on the ground. Move by pushing off the ground and scurrying about, face-up, on all fours.
- For the kickoff, drop the ball between two players, one from each team. Players then "crab crawl" back and forth trying to kick the ball into the goal. When a goal is scored, return the ball to the center of the playing area and begin play again. Encourage the play to play for a previously agreed upon a time: 15 minutes or so works well.
- The team with the most points wins!
Stimulate your mind:
Here are a few free resources to help stimulate your mind while at home. Try out a few of these games and let us know what you think of them. Acquired from Wizards of the Coast atas a free resource for anyone needing a game to play while staying home.
Connect with Nature
The days are longer and the sun is warm – spring is here! Embrace the world around you with these fun nature-themed activities!
DIY Hummingbird Feeder
- water bottle
- hot glue gun
Step 1: Poke three (3) holes around the middle of the water bottle
Step 2: Cut the straws and glue them in the holes using a hot glue gun
Step 3: Tie your string/twine around the cap of the water bottle to hang the bottle
Step 4: Pour in your hummingbird nectar
Links to other ways to connect with nature
DIY Bird House/feeder
- Clean and empty soda and or milk cartoon
- Glue and/or tape
- 10” Stick or twig
- Decor for feeders: Paint, markers, stickers, and/or construction paper
- For the final project: birdseed
Staff was inspired by this video!
Connect with Artistic Expression
When we can’t find the words – – art it out! Get creative and be heard!
- Penny Paper Spinners
- Paint with Ice
- Perspective Drawing
- Basic Color-Theory
- Artful Parent
- Glow-in-Dark Jellyfish
Connect with the Senses
These demanding times call for getting in touch with our human roots through sight, sound, taste, smell, and feel!
Connect with Community
Check out what local organizations are doing these days!
Family Virtual Field Trip
You don’t need to go to take a quick family trip around the world. Here are a few fun places to check out with the family!