If I get bit by an animal what should I do?

Medical Attention

If you feel the bite is serious, seek medical attention immediately. Whether you go to a doctor’s office or the hospital emergency room, they will contact Animal Control to report the bite and an Animal Control Officer will be dispatched immediately.


If you do not seek medical attention you may call Animal Control and an officer will be dispatched. The officer will locate the animal and verify whether it has a current rabies vaccination. If the animal does not have current vaccinations it will be impounded and quarantined for 10 days. You will be informed if anything out of the ordinary is observed during the quarantine period. You will also be contacted by an officer approximately 10 days after the bite during a follow up to ensure that you are recovering satisfactorily.

More Information

For more information or if you are bit by an animal, call Animal Control at 575-439-4330.

Show All Answers

1. I found a stray animal and Animal Control is closed. What should I do with the animal?
2. I have seen skunks in my neighborhood. Can Animal Control remove the skunks?
3. I have a problem with stray cats in my neighborhood. Will Animal Control help me resolve this problem?
4. I have been having a problem with bats around my home. Does Animal Control handle bats?
5. I just noticed a large swarm of bees by my house. Does Animal Control do anything about bees?
6. If I get bit by an animal what should I do?
7. Pigeons keep coming into my yard and eating my pet’s food. They are becoming a nuisance, can you help?
8. There is a large rattlesnake in my yard. Will you send someone to remove it?