2001_JULY05 PZC REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
Ms. Ginna L. Sanders, Chairman
Mr. Daniel Schwebke, First Vice-Chairman.
Ms. Paula J. Dardin, Second Vice-Chairman.
Mr. Preciliano J. Martín, Member.
Mr. Jack M. Glahn, Member
Mr. Robert J. Jaramillo, Ex-Officio Member.
Ms. Sharon L. Few, City Planner.
Mr. J. Gregory Garcia, Recording Secretary.
1. CALL TO ORDER. Chairman Sanders called the regularly scheduled July 5th, 2001, meeting to order at approximately 1:30 p.m. Chairman Sanders noted that a total of one (1) item was to be considered, none under Public Hearing. Recommendations to the City Commission are to be made by the Planning and Zoning Commission for approval or denial of the requests. The City Commission will consider these requests at its meeting of July 24, 2001, to render final decisions.
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA. Commissioner Dardin made a motion "TO APPROVE THE AGENDA, AS WRITTEN". Seconded by Commissioner Martin. All voted "AYE", passing the motion by a vote of 5-0-0.
3. MINUTES OF JUNE 6TH REGULAR MEETING, AND JULY 1ST INSPECTION TOUR, 2001. Commissioner Dardin made a motion "TO APPROVE THE MINUTES, AS WRITTEN". Seconded by Commissioner Glahn. All voted "AYE", approving the motion by a vote of 5-0-0.
CASE: M-00-0289(A). PETITIONER: City of Alamogordo, applicant. REQUEST: Approval of an ordinance amending Sections 8-03-010 and 29-04-110, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Alamogordo, New Mexico, relating to access onto certain streets.
Ms. Few reported that The City of Alamogordo is concerned about the proliferation of driveways and other access points on arterial and collector streets within the City. The increase in the number of access points onto an arterial or collection (which are designed for the rapid deployment of large volumes of traffic) severely compromises the nature of the right-of-way and reduces the efficiency of the system. The lack of acceleration/deceleration lanes for high speed and or high volume traffic increases the prospect of vehicular conflicts resulting in collisions. Therefore, the attached ordinance has been developed to regulate these situations. Staff recommends to discuss the proposed ordinance for Case M-00-0289(A) pertaining to access onto certain streets.
The discussion included many topics. Some of the topics covered included the exact definition of an arterial and a collector street. Ms. Few stated that an example of a collector street would be Eighteenth Street or Fifteenth Street, whereas, an arterial street would be Indian Wells Road or Scenic Drive. Other items discussed were Public right-of-ways, acceleration/deceleration lanes, and access to properties. One example discussed involved North Scenic Drive. Ms. Few reported that back when Cottonwood Heights Subdivision was first started, with the exception of about ten to twelve lots that are currently platted to face Scenic Drive; no other lots in that subdivision would be approved on platting for facing Scenic Drive. The lots that face Scenic Drive, as you may notice, Ms. Few said, all have circular drive ways as a condition of the subdivision because they didnt want cars backing-on to a high-speed road. Ms. Few also commented that examples of an acceleration/deceleration lane is from White Sands Blvd. into the parking lot of Walgreens and Albertsons; or from South New York into Wal-Mart. The Planning and Zoning Commission discussed these and other addresses around Alamogordo including Ocotillo and Scenic Drive. Ms. Few stated that the questions raised were exactly what was needed to discuss before submitting the ordinance to the City Commission. The Planning Commission expressed the need to discuss this ordinance further and perhaps going out into the field to have a better idea about the areas in question before voting on the item. Commissioner Schwebke made a motion "TO POSTPONE ACTION UNTIL THE AUGUST 1ST REGULAR MEETING PENDING RECEIPT OF FURTHER INFORMATION FOR THIS ORDINANCE." Commissioner Dardin seconded the motion. All voted "AYE", passing the motion by a vote of 5-0-0.
A. City Planner.
(1) August Agenda. Ms. Few reported that there are four items including the ordinance discussed at this meeting.
(2) Other. The League of Zoning Officials, which is the subsection of the New Mexico Municipal League will be having their annual meeting in September in Carlsbad. It is anticipated that there may be some training sessions for Planning Commissioners at that meeting. She went on to say that the exact date in not yet known and is not sure that the Planning Division would have sufficient revenues to send all the Planning members to the full session of the League. However the training for Planners may be in the form of a one-day session or work shop. The City of Alamogordo would be able to provide a vehicle and registration fees for the workshop, if any of the members were interested in attending.
B. Chairman. None
C. Commissioners. None
6. PERSONS TO BE HEARD - None.
7. ADJOURNMENT - There being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Dardin made a motion "TO ADJOURN". Seconded by Commissioner Schwebke. All voted "AYE", passing the motion by a vote of 5-0-0. The meeting adjourned at approximately 2:22 p.m.
Approved: August 1, 2001
/s/ Ginna L. Sanders, Chairman
/s/ J. Gregory Garcia, Recording Secretary