We can no longer care for our family pet. What options are available to us?

If you have to get rid of your pet for any reason, there are many options available. You can advertise in the local newspaper or on the radio. Most newspapers and radio stations offer free advertisements for pet giveaway. Local supermarkets have bulletin boards and allow pet owners to place flyers on these.

Animal Control also has two bulletin boards. One is located inside the building and the other is located outside on the Southern wall. If none of these resources work or if you must give your pet away immediately, you can do an owner impound at Animal Control for a $20 fee. If you do an owner impound please bring any shot records, vet records, and tags for your pet. These can greatly increase the chance of adoption for you pet.

Visit Animal Control is located at 2910 N Florida Avenue, Alamogordo, NM 88310

For more information, call Animal Control at 575-439-4330.

Show All Answers

1. I was just told that my pet needs a city license. Is this true and if so why?
2. If I get bit by an animal what should I do?
3. My friend told me that my cat had to be on a leash whenever I let it go outside. Is this true?
4. My neighbor’s dog is chained up in the backyard. I never see him feed his dog and I am constantly giving the dog water. What should I do?
5. My pet got out of my yard and was picked up by Animal Control. What do I need to do to recover my pet?
6. My pet lost its collar along with its tags. Can I get replacement tags?
7. My pet passed away last night. What should I do with the remains?
8. Pigeons keep coming into my yard and eating my pet’s food. They are becoming a nuisance, can you help?
9. Our neighbor’s dog barks constantly. Is there any way to resolve this problem?
10. We can no longer care for our family pet. What options are available to us?