Senior Volunteer Programs Advisory Council
- 3rd Wednesday of January, April, July, and October of 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
- Alamogordo Senior Center
2201 Puerto Rico Avenue
Alamogordo, NM 88310
- Nine At-Large Members
- One Foster Grandparent Representative
- One Senior Companion Representative
No more than two members may reside outside City limits.
FGP / SCP Advisory Council promotes the engagement of older persons as community resources in planning for community improvement, and in the delivery of volunteer services in our County. To meet the unmet human, educational, environmental, and public safety needs of our community.
The Foster Grandparent Program engages older Americans in service to youth/students within schools and educational settings. Foster Grandparents are under the supervision of teachers / other school professionals such as principals. Seniors 55 years or older perform one-on-one service with young people. Income-eligible senior volunteers in the Foster Grandparent program receive a modest stipend to help offset the costs of volunteering. Some examples of volunteer activities include the following:
- Helping preschool children prepare for elementary school
- Tutoring elementary, middle, or high school students in schools for academic success (i.e. help with reading, writing, math, etc.)
- Reading a story to a second-grade class
- Helping a kindergarten student practice penmanship and writing their name
- Providing emotional support to children
The Senior Companion Program consists of older Americans who provide assistance to homebound seniors. This program helps homebound clients maintain dignity and independence while providing respite to family caregivers. Clients can include older adults who are frail, have disabilities, or have a terminal illness. Seniors 55 years or older perform one-on-one service with their clients. Income-eligible seniors volunteers in the Senior Companion Program also receive a modest stipend to help offset the costs of volunteering. Some examples of volunteer activities include the following:
- Providing companionship and friendship to isolated adults (socialization)
- Assisting with simple chores
- Providing transportation for client (doctor appointments, etc.)
- Preparing a snack for a client
- Helping with grocery shopping
SVP Specialist Ryan Sanders can be reached at 575-439-4150, extension 4553.